Featured Post

So You Think You Can Dance Renewed for Season 13 with a New Format!

I've been checking repeatedly to find out about the fate of my most favourite reality show So You Think You Can Dance, in which skilled dancers, who want to make it to the professional world of dance, battle it out to win the title of "America's Favourite Dancer".

After the massive flop of Season 12, whether the show would be renewed for a Season 13 was something us fans constantly had on our minds as the ratings plummeted even more than previous seasons due to a questionable format and change of judges that brought absolutely nothing to the table.


Well the good news for us is that the show was indeed renewed for 13th Season. However, this new season brings forth another change of format and it looks to me like this could very well be its final one.

Before I complain about the format, I should note that the judging panel will remain the same from Season 12. Another big minus for the show. Jason Derulo has been absolutely useless the entire season, Paula Abdul was ok at times and of course we have the producer Nigel Lythgoe. After Season 12 many fans spoke up against Jason Derulo's return so it feels awesome that our wishes were completely ignored. Do they even realise that WE ARE the ones bringing those few ratings in the first place? Do they want to lose us too?

Now let's take a look at this format. The new format will allow children between the ages of 8 and 13 to be entered into the show and paired up with all stars from previous seasons. I for one believe this is a major mistake. I do not question the talent of the kids the show will bring. All of the past contestans have already been dancing since the age of 4-5. 

There are a lot of other problems though. For starters, how can a little kid be partnered by a grown up? The dancers will compete in contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballroom, animation or breaking genres, I don't know about you but I'm bothered just thinking about little girls doing ballroom with the all stars. So I'll just stop thinking about it.


I am also positive that we won't get to witness any Emmy nomination potential choreographies. I admit that there could be some iconic numbers; however, looking back at some of the most iconic unforgettable moments the show blessed us with, can we really see powerful choreographies about themes such as breast cancer, addiction, love, pain, racism, suicide etc? 8-13 kids should have nothing to do with these themes so I believe it is safe to say that we have to say goodbye to them...

Last but not least, can you imagine these kids getting eliminated? Even the 18+ contestans would break down in tears when they were eliminated after doing their best. Can you imagine this with a 8 year old pouring their heart out? Would you really enjoy watching something like that?

I believe this is going to be one of the biggest mistakes from Fox. If people wanted to see dancing kids, there is Dance Moms. If they wanted to watch something more casual there is Dancing with the Stars. And SYTYCD was there to satisfy those of us who wanted to see the professionals and the bests of the best! I'm sad to see that it's all falling apart. I will give it a chance of course cause at least there is the all stars to watch and enjoy but I hope this "little" experiment won't bring about the end of the show!

Comments

  1. Now this worldwide popular Show, "So You Think You Can Dance" also landed in India. Excited for this

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Favorite Dance Reality show. SO You Think You Can Dance. I am Dance Crazy too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment