Featured Post

The Bachelor Weekend Review

I have been looking forward to watching The Stag for quite some time now not because I was intrigued by the plot of the movie but because of Andrew Scott. Yea I shamefully admit here that I am one of those people who watch a movie for the presence of only one actor.


That is a rather nasty habit though. It has been somewhat of a prime principal of mine to watch every single work of those certain actors, good or bad. You wouldn't believe the sort of rubbish movies and stories I had to go through just to watch the performance of my favourite actors. But you know what? The Stag wasn't rubbish at all! I was actually quite entertained. And I never thought I would say this but Andrew Scott wasn't the only highlight in the movie for me (I'm counting his cute tush as well :P)!

By the way the original title of the movie was The Stag, which I liked much better so I'll keep calling it that although the new title for the movie is "The Bachelor Weekend". I am not sure why they decided to change the title to be honest as the previous one was much better and was actually tailor made for the movie. The movie is about a stag weekend after all!

However, this is not your typical stag night. There aren't any night on the towns or drinkings or strippers or prostitutes or whatever you might be picturing inside your naughty little head :D Instead it's actually a hiking trip up on the mountain. That might initially sound boring to you but I assure you it is not.


A stag night wasn't even a part of the plan of our groom Fionnan (Hugh O'Conor) who is a bit too involved in the planning of the wedding that even his wife-to-be Ruth (Amy Huberman) wants him to have fun and relax before the wedding. So she instructs Fionnan's best man Davin (Andrew Scott) to organise a stag for him. But she also wants Davin to invite her socially daft brother The Machine (Peter McDonald). 

And this is exactly where things take an unexpected turn for our characters because none of them really likes The Machine. It is even worse for Fionnan who is already reluctant with the idea of a stag in the first place but now he has to spend it with someone whom he absolutely loathes.


Anyway the stag turns out to be quite entertaining. I mean I wouldn't want to be in one of their places but I laughed quite hard at their misery at times. Clothes are taken off, drugs are sniffed, shots are fired, someone gets electrocuted, punches are thrown, tents are caught on fire, someone wanks while the rest try to sleep etc etc. Our characters also find out during this "illuminating walkabout" that The Machine is not so bad after all. On a side note I really wouldn't mind a mental friend like The Machine. I don't even know why the characters didn't like him at first cause I thought he was pretty hilarious. He just needs to like a band other than U2 then I'm game!

My only complaint about this movie would be that the nickname The Machine wasn't explained. We learn The Machine's real name at the end of the movie but I wish they explained the meaning behind The Machine. Andrew Scott's character Davin also has a nickname, Bun, which is explained towards the middle so I don't understand why The Machine was left out.


As I already mentioned I noticed this movie because of Andrew Scott. Without him I'd have probably never even heard of it. But I am quite happy that I have because The Stag had some really strong performances by the cast. I especially adored Peter McDonald as The Machine and I'll surely be on the look out for more of his movies. Andrew also had a great performance and I was happy to see that he had a lot of screen time. Probably most among the cast actually. I was also happy to see a bit "more" of him :D However perverted that sounds I really don't care :D He can certainly sing as well! Damn, my obsession with Andrew Scott has grown a bit more after this movie...He needs to stop being this brilliant!

All in all I'll give this movie a solid 4 points out of 5. It was full of strong performances and some hilarious moments. And please please please stop comparing this movie to The Hangover... Just don't!

Comments