Featured Post

The Walking Dead S04E04 Indifference Recap (SPOILER ALERT!)

This post will contain spoilers from the latest episode of The Walking Dead called Indifference. It marks the fourth episode of the fourth season so if you haven't watched this episode yet I suggest you stop reading now or keep reading at your own risk. I'll only give my 2 cents about the twist at the end of the episode rather than talk about every single thing that has happened. So this is not a "full" recap.


So if you are still reading this post this means you have either watched the episode or wouldn't mind some spoilers. Either way Carol is banished at the end of the episode by Rick because she killed and burned two people from the group who had the flu. (up for debate, I'll share my theories on this post regarding this issue)

First of all that was reckless of Rick to make that decision by himself. He definitely rushed into it.Yes he is the group leader but there is a "council" that should at least reserve the right to put it to vote or something. I think Rick should have confronted the group about what she has done and then bring up the idea of banishing her and then call for a vote. Daryl is not going to like this!

Anyway I won't focus on what Rick should have done, it doesn't matter. I strongly believe he was wrong anyway. Up to this point Carol has proved that she is actually the better leader and actually cares more about the survival of the people. This was evident in earlier episodes when Carol tried to ask for Rick's help to fix the water issue while all Rick said was something like "It'll see us through today, we'll take care of it tomorrow". After that response Carol risked her life to fix the problem to get more fresh water for the group. As for decision-making Rick is getting more and more emotional everyday and it is clouding his judgement. At the start of the show Carol who was abused by her husband was the emotional one. After losing Sophie she actually became even stronger and seemed to me like a more of a leader figure because she is actually thinking clearly and doing any sacrifice that is needed to survive. If there were two separate groups one being led by Rick and the other by Carol, and if I had to choose one I'd definitely go with Carol. Of course I'd drag Daryl with me too (I'm sure he wouldn't mind) :P

As for killing those two sick people (sorry forgot their names I think one of them was called Karen) and then burning them to eradicate the virus, well whether it was right or wrong can be argued at length. I think it was surely much better than doing nothing. They were showing severe symptoms and it was clear that they were going to die soon. There was obviously not enough time to organise a run to get medicine. By the time they were even half way to get meds, those two would have already been dead and who knows maybe infected even more people along with them. I think it was not that worse than locking up a bunch of sick people together to make the wait for their inevitable end. To be perfectly honest with you if I was that sick I'd want to be put out of my misery rather than being in agony and locked up in one of those cells.


Now I'm beginning to ask myself if it was Carol who actually has done that. My first theory was always Carl. I was almost sure that Carl killed them because well he possesses that kind of capacity. He killed a kid in cold blood before whom he thought was a threat to his group. So he could naturally think of the sick people as threat to his group as well. He is a tough lad too, dragging the bodies wouldn't be a much hassle for him. Besides that bloody handprint on the wall doesn't seem like it belongs to a grown person which leads me to my second theory.

However in the light of events in the latest episode as well, my theory is beginning to shift towards Lizzie. First of all even though Carol could indeed do such a thing to ensure the safety of the group I strongly believe that she'd be much better at hiding it, after all it was rather a sloppy murder that Carol is way too smart to commit. Also, as soon as I saw the blade missing from Carol's bag on Lizzie's belt buckle I immediately thought that it was Lizzie. I also feel the way Carol talked to her during that scene definitely hints at Lizzie. Carol always taught her how she shouldn't be afraid to kill in order to protect herself. I also remembered how Lizzie couldn't kill his father when he was bitten and how disappointed Carol was in her. I think Lizzie wanted to not only impress but also prove to Carol that she is in fact as strong as she says she is. These two developed mother-daughter kind of relationship so I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lizzie told Carol about what she has done or Carol found out herself and wanted to be the scapegoat to protect her.


I think Carol is one of the most noble characters on the show and I really don't want her to leave. I really hope the writers will find a way to bring her back. Believe me, there are soooo many more expendable characters on the show (the alcoholic one hello?? Daryl should have just pushed him off the edge to be zombie food!), even from the core group but just not Carol and definitely not for this! I hope this will bite Rick in the arse :D

Comments

  1. That is a great theory about Carl actually being the one who killed and subsequently burned the two bodies. I agree with you actually because it seems like Carl has grown up during this apocalyptic world and is basing his choices less so on 'normal' human morality and more on survival of the fittest and survival of the closer friends. It also seems like Carol would do anything to protect any of the children and in doing so she is protecting Carl.

    Rick is not the same person as he was in the earlier seasons. I tend to like his character a lot less lately. He's obviously still a bit mental after losing Lori and murdering his best friend.

    Glenn is probably my favorite character on the current cast, but even he seems to be having less of a role lately and seems incredibly unhappy as of the last few episodes. I feel like because of his love for Maggie that he'd be a happier person but alas that is not the case at all. My guess is Glenn will die soon. *sigh* Another favorite will bite the dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Doug,

      First of all I want to say that I realised you are a dedicated follower of my blog. So I want to thank you so much for your continuous comments. You should know that I value them greatly.

      Carl has really grown up ever since season 1 that's for sure. This transition phase from an innocent child to a ruthless survivor was very intriguing to watch. I actually think Carl is more grown up than Rick now. And I definitely agree with your comments about Rick and how his character changed dramatically. I used to like Rick as well now it just seems like he is there just for the sake of it. Rick is actually the favourite character of the writers but I just don't see him as mine.

      Now that's where our opinions will divide. Cause I think Glenn is one of those dispensable characters. He is just a hopeless romantic and I tend to hate those kind of characters :) It is of course refreshing to see some love blooming between Glenn and Maggie, I mean zombies have taken over the world so why not? Probably the best time to have a relationship eh? But still, I like Maggie but I simply couldn't bring myself to like Glenn.

      Like most TWD fans my favourite character is also Daryl. This has got nothing to do with his looks well he is attractive as hell but I love his "character". He is really generous, kind, courageous and logical. And most importantly he is ready to sacrifice anything for the sake of the group. He is a true leader so I still don't see why he just doesn't take over, but again taking over is not something Daryl would do unless it was absolutely necessary or inevitable :) One of the best written characters in the entire show.

      Delete
  2. My pleasure Merve. I really enjoy your writing style and your unique take on movies and TV shows.

    More in regards to The Walking Dead: Daryl is a great character, and one of my top 5 characters currently. He's got a 'James Dean' rebellious attitude about him, which I'm certain is why everybody loves him. As I may have told you before my favorite Lori was killed off a while ago, yet even so, I will continue to watch the latest plot developments and find the show thoroughly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment