Featured Post

Best Comedy Shows to Watch: Will&Grace

I guess it is time to announce number 4 on my list. As each day passes we are getting closer and closer to number 1. I hope you are as excited as I am. I had so many show selection for spot number 4, but I made a promise to you and to myself that I'd reveal one show EACH day. So I just had to choose the first one that came to my mind. Otherwise my brain would have exploded. This show could also have been my number 3 but I had a last minute change of heart so I've got another show set for the 3rd spot. Anyway let's get back to the subject.

I rewatched my number 4 show more times than I can actually say. If I had kept track of it I guess the number would probably be between 20-25 times and this includes all seasons. (I'm starting to believe that I need to get a life :p) That's how good this show was. It always made me laugh and forget about what was going on around me and that's what I value the most in a comedy show. It just needs to take me to another place where I get to have a lot of fun without thinking my responsibilities even if it is just for a second. This show managed to do that perfectly. 

Here is my number 4:

- 4 -

WILL & GRACE

Let me inform you a little bit about the plot of the show. Will is a successful gay lawyer who lives with his best friend Grace, an interior designer who is straight. Grace is supposed to find a place of her own when she calls off her engagement but she ends up permanently staying at Will's apartment. 


As the story centres around these two, we also get to know a lot about their friends as well. Like Will's self-absorbed gay friend Jack who can't have a relationship for more than a day or even a couple of hours. He always ends up cheating on his boyfriends. He has a passion for acting, dancing, singing and theatre. He also has a passion for Kevin Bacon and he frequently stalks him. He also loves Cher, as you can see from the picture he even has her doll. Doing Cher impressions is actually one of his favourite free time activity.


But I need to give special credit to my favourite character: Grace's so called secretary and assistant Karen who is best friends with Jack (she calls him "poodle"). I prefer the impression "so called" because Karen acts like the actual boss rather than a secretary. She never picks up the phone, she is always late and she always drinks at work. To her luck she never had to work because she has got a multimillonaire husband called Stan, but we never get to see him. All we know about him is that he is incredibly fat and rich. Karen loves using her sexuality against her husband to get more money. She actually loves using her sexuality in general to get what she wants. Karen is an alcoholic. In fact she is such a drunk that she drinks her breakfast, lunch and dinner. We actually never get to see her eat some solid food :D She is also addicted to various prescriptions. She picks them by their colour and takes one according to her mood. When I got my friends to try out this show, they said that they were put off by Karen's voice but I think they are exaggerating. I LOVE Karen's voice! Karen has got a maid named Rosario from El Salvador who is the only one that can control her. It is quite a funny experience to see Karen and Rosie yell all the time and then admit how much they love each other and hug :D



I could go on and on about this show but like every good thing this must come to an end. I probably should have talked more about the actual main characters that are Will and Grace but Karen is my all time favourite and she deserves all the credit she can get. 

Here is the cast of Will & Grace:

Eric McCormack - Will Truman
Debra Messing - Grace Adler
Megan Mullally - Karen Walker
Sean Hayes - Jack McFarland
Shelley Morrison - Rosario Salazar

The show was nominated for 27 Golden Globes and 83 Primetime Emmy Awards. It won  a total of 16 Emmy awards. Each of the 4 main characters has also got Emmy awards for their performance in the show. Unfortunately the show has never won a Golden Globe so I think it was a rip off... Both Hayes and Mullally held records for having the most Screen Actors Guild Awards (3 awards each) in Best Performance by an Actor in a Comedy Series and Best Performance by an Actress in a Comedy Series categories but later on Tina Fey tied with Megan Mullay for her role in 30 Rock and Alec Baldwin went on to surpass Sean Hayes for his role in also 30 Rock. So as you can see the show was quite a success but I can't help but think that it still deserved more!
I hope you are happy with my 4th choice. Feel free to share your opinions below. You can still affect my decision-making process for the remaining top 3 spots before it is too late!

Comments