Featured Post

Best Comedy Shows to Watch: Arrested Development

I forgot to add a couple of shows to my initial list. Some of these shows I've actually had the pleasure to watch and enjoy. I guess my mind is too busy that I forgot about them which led me to leave them out. However, shows like Ally McBeal, Californication, Two Guys and a Girl, Scrubs, Kitchen Confidential are also in the mix now. My mind is still at work to think of more shows but right now it's all blank.

I've been thinking about this bloody list for far too long now. It was even on my mind at work. I kept thinking to myself "Which show should be number 5???". I knew number 5 and 4 would prove to be difficult as I have already made up my mind about my top 3 (and it is up to you to change my mind). And I'm still thinking if I made the right decision with my number 5. I did enjoy it a lot especially in its first 3 seasons but its season 4 is not good at all. Season 4 concept wise is also different from the other 3 seasons. First 3 seasons each episode focused on the whole family whereas in season 4, one episode focuses only on ONE character. It just feels like the writing staff changed but it didn't. There is only one additional writer to the initial staff but still... Thinking how season 4 could affect the future of the show I think it should have been much stronger. Anyway I thought I'd base this decision on the first 3 seasons only because those seasons were just incredible.

Beware, this post is going to be long even though I didn't intend it to be :D

So here is my number 5:

- 5 -

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT


Arrested Development is a show about the life of the formerly wealthy (but still acts like it) dysfunctional Bluth family. To simply explain the plot, Michael Bluth the one and only responsible member of the Bluth family takes over the family affairs after his father George Bluth is imprisoned. He tries to keep the real estate business of his family going while dealing with his family consisting of a bunch of immature adults :D After the imprisonment of George Bluth which he oddly enjoys, family is left penniless. But one would think otherwise after seeing his wife Lucille and daughter Lindsay. They act like they own the world :D 

When the family has got nowhere else to go with no money left to spend, they reside in their last resort, their model home. Their adventures in this model home is actually quite enjoyable. After watching walls collapse, even the floor collapse I really wouldn't mind living in a house like this which is full of surprises and always catches you off guard :) Personally I love making plans and schedules but real life is about the unexpected so I guess it wouldn't be that bad to suddenly find some secret hidden room in the basement despite living there for years :P

After talking about the plot I'll give brief information about the characters of the show. I already talked about Michael Bluth, he is the oldest son of George Bluth, the patriarch of the family. He is the only sane and mature character on the show. He always cares about his family and tries to do what is best for them and their real estate business. He might sound boring to you but I actually believe that he is one of the funniest characters on the show. Michael has lost his wife, but he's got a 13-year-old son named George Michael whose name is mocked throughout the show. George Michael is in love with his cousin Maeby who is Michael's sister Lindsay's daughter, it is funny to see how badly he fails at flirting with her when she just acts nonchalantly about the whole thing.


I love Michael's sister Lindsay. She is married to Tobias Fünke who used to be a psychologist but is now desperately trying to make a career in acting, however, he also miserably fails at this so he doesn't bring anything to the house financial wise :P Tobias always talks inappropriately but he doesn't realise it. What all the Bluth family thinks of when he talks is "Doesn't he hear himself?" To me he is the least funny character on the show but he is not all that bad (not talking about season 4, he is just rubbish there I am afraid). But Lindsay is just fantastic. She flirts with other men and is always seeking attention from men including a classmate of her daughter. She spends tons of money and always forgets that she's got a daughter. She actually answers "no" when people ask her if she's got any children. Maeby doesn't mind though, she doesn't act like she's got a mother either so all is good :D


But I just have got to give special attention to Michael's younger brother Buster. He is actually my favourite :D He is in his mid 30s but he still lives at home with his mother and actually he can't live without her at all. He enters dance competitions with her and he even finds a girlfriend who is exactly like her mother, both age and character wise. Her name is Lucille as well, she is actually referred to as "Lucille 2" in the show :D I particularly love the way Buster talks; his tone, his mimics, his pronunciation, they all add to his magnificent performance. Imitating the way he says "mother" is one of my favourite activities while I watch this show. Everytime he says "mother" I imitate it after him. He is just so pure and sweet :D This could actually be turned into a drinking game now that I think about it...


Another favourite character of mine in this show is the middle brother GOB as in George Oscar Bluth, he is a magician but a failed one too. I guess in a way every member of this family is some kind of a loser and a failure :D He always tries new tricks but fails at them. He even tried to make his assistant disappear in a box which in a way he did but he was just as surprised as the audience because he had absolutely no idea where she went :D 


As you might have noticed I left out some major characters like Lucille and George Bluth to give detailed information about. They are quite funny in their own way and I also love them too but the rest of the characters in my opinion are much more notable. 

Here is the cast of Arrested Development:

Jason Bateman - Michael Bluth
Portia de Rossi - Lindsay Bluth
Will Arnett - George Oscar Bluth (GOB)
Michael Cera - George-Michael Bluth
Alia Shawkat - Maeby Fünke
Tony Hale - Buster Bluth
David Cross - Tobias Fünke
Jeffrey Tambor - George Bluth Sr.
Jessica Walter - Lucille Bluth

I hope I didn't bore you out of your mind with this long text. I always promise myself that I'll keep it short, clean and easy. But I'm a writer and editor by heart and not to forget an English Linguist. Also don't forget that devil is in the details so I always keep it long and detailed :D And I honestly didn't think I'd write this much. On my way home from work I was thinking of how to fill this one up :D

So what do you think about my number 5? Do you like Arrested Development?  Who are your favourite characters? Which show in your honest opinion should I have listed as the 5th place?


Comments