Featured Post

Center Stage Review: A Treat for Sore Eyes! :)

Alright, I'll come clean here. I've been pretty much obsessed with Sascha Radetsky ever since I finished watching Flesh and Bone. I don't think anyone can blame me for this! I certainly don't, so I don't care if you do!

Well, I took a brief look at his bio and found that he starred in Center Stage, a ballet oriented movie I have enjoyed a lot, so I wanted to share my thoughts here.

I needed something to get my dance fix as So You Think You Can Dance is only a summer show and its season 13 isn't even confirmed yet. Thus I'm so glad to have found Flesh and Bone and then Center Stage to enjoy some incredible ballet.


But sadly that's pretty much the only strong suit of Center Stage. Unfortunately the acting is pretty sup-bar but Center Stage is the kind of movie you watch for the story and the fantastic dancing bits because if you feel as strongly about dance as I do (I don't dance myself but I'm obsessed with watching classically trained dancers), this is the kind of movie that will be etched onto your heart.

Center Stage follows the story of mainly Jody (Amanda Schull), who is accepted into American Ballet Academy. Alongside Jody there are also other new dancers who try fulfill their dreams of being employed as a ballet dancer in this highly competitive environment. We get to see veteran dancers as well as newly enrolled dancers go through extensive and painful training, their personal problems and relationships with each other.


Center Stage displays the brutal hardships of self sacrifice and suffering these ballet dancers have to go through to provide something magical and beautiful for us spectators. On one hand we have a bulimic young woman who is afraid of a relationship for fear of letting it affect her dancing, on the other hand we have another one who projects a rude personality to hide how much she actually cares about being accepted, not to mention some of the dancers being kicked out for having the "wrong body type". Ok yes, there are also some very dreamy hot guys who happen to be phenomenal dancers but who cares about them right? I certainly don't!!


As I mentioned before, unfortunately the acting is pretty weak in Center Stage but I'd prefer to have dancers who can't act do a dance oriented movie than a bunch of actors who can't dance. Besides amazing choreography alongside flawless talents of Ethan Stiefel and Sascha Radetsky will definitely make you enjoy your time watching the film and forget anything else (*coughs* sorry I didn't focus too much on Amanda Schull *coughs*). If you care even just a little bit about ballet, I strongly urge you to watch Center Stage.

Note to self; fangirling is bad for the quality of your posts. Get a grip if you can...(I probably won't!)

Comments