Featured Post

The Best Evening of My Life with Hugh Jackman!

Thanks to Hugh Jackman, last night was the best night of my life. I wouldn't have thought that a day filled with travelling alongside a pretty hectic and exhausting schedule would pay off with the best day of my life. I knew I would have tons of fun but I never would have dreamed that this would be such a magical day full of wonders. This show made me realise that I really would enjoy Broadway and if I were to live in New York, I'd most likely spend all my money on Broadway and end up dying from hunger.

Anyway before I go off topic, which is something I do regularly, I'd like to talk about this wonderful musical Hugh Jackman honoured us with. This broadway show is called "An Evening with Hugh Jackman". There is no play, there is no scenario, there is no script, except the story of Hugh Jackman himself. The show was all about his personal experiences and his own life, his family, his favourite songs from his favourite musicals, or musicals he starred in. This wasn't just any Broadway show. This was something very private and personal, this was like having a glimpse into the life of Mr. Jackman and getting to know him on a much deeper level. It felt like he was having a conversation with one of his best friends as he gave us the story of his life starting from his childhood up until today. That's exactly why in a pre-show interview earlier, he said that the people who attended the show would know a lot more about him than anyone else who has seen ALL of his shows/movies. Indeed we did learn a great deal about him.


Before the show started, announcements were made about not being allowed to take photos/videos and we were kindly asked to turn off our phones, they told us not to forget that it was Wolverine we were watching so he would hunt us down. First of all, yea it was sort of funny but I don't like this Wolverine image always being projected upon Hugh Jackman, there were some disturbing moments during the show which suggested that people in Turkey only know Hugh Jackman from his X-Men movies which is shameful and a waste! I'll talk about these moments in details as I go along further in this post. Second of all, noone actually paid any attention to this announcement. Throughout the entire show everyone kept taking pictures with their flashes on! Many of us were quite bothered with it; I wish Hugh did indeed hunt them down! That's why this post will lack pictures from the show as I didn't take any!

The second announcement was made about the language of the show. As the show is mainly improvisation, most of the things Hugh says wouldn't be translated which drew a lot of negative feedback from the audience. But many people laughed at his jokes so either most people knew English or they joined in on the laughter of the people who actually understood the jokes. I really didn't like the translation quality of song lyrics either. Knowing English certainly has its rewards! 

Hugh Jackman started the show with a heartwarming "Merhaba İstanbul" (Hello İstanbul). His Turkish pronunciation was pretty dead on so he did his homework! :) Also, he was so obsessed with saying the Turkish names right that he kept repeating them even in the middle of his songs. By sharing with us; his obsession with Turkish Coffee, his Turkish heritage, his past Turkey visit 19 years ago and how much he loved the people and how much the city has changed for the better; he really managed to connect with the Turkish people. (He didn't need all that to connect with me though :P)

Then he showed us a couple of Wolverine moments, admitting that film executives hate that he does Broadway because he loses the weight he needs in order to be Wolverine. And realistically, he knows he will keep on being Wolverine. Hugh Jackman, let me be honest with you here: You are misinterpreting the Oscar winning movie "Birdman"! :D (And therefore I join the long line of people who mock Jackman for getting the wrong idea from Birdman).


After the Wolverine part he said he was mostly well known for his action movies but he admitted that he was a romantic at heart. After that he let us in on the secret of a happy life: Happy Wife, Happy Life. Then he told us a very personal story of when and how he met his wife Deborra, who was also among the audience, before dedicating a very romantic song to her. When the song was over, while we were applauding, he left the stage to join his wife in the audience; he hugged and then kissed her making the whole audience go "Awwwwww". This is probably when all of us women fell in love with him.

He also sang a song about his life in New York and how he didn't want to move there at first but he did as his wife Deborra was quite excited about it. Happy Wife, Happy Life remember? But the city grew on him and he really came to love NY; thus the essence of the song expressed his feelings beautifully.

It wasn't only his wife that Hugh Jackman honoured during the show, though. He also told us a sweet story of his dad and his reaction to Jackman's starring in Carousel as Billy Bigelow and he dedicated his favourite song from Carousel to his father.

Hugh Jackman also gave us an exclusive song from his upcoming musical "The Greatest Showman on Earth". He was joined by Bora Uzer, a Turkish singer, in a duet when the pair portrayed a scene from this musical. I really enjoyed this duet. I won't even complement on Jackman here as he was obviously magnificent. But I feel like I should pay special tribute to Bora Uzer. The original singer who was supposed to join Jackman for this duet got sick and they had to come up with a new name only days prior to the show. Bora was picked only 2 days before the opening night and thus had only 2 days to prepare for it. According to Jackman, Bora had never sung in English before, well we really couldn't tell as he was amazing so he deserved every single applause that we gave him at the end of the performance.

Bora Uzer joined Hugh Jackman on stage.

In the earlier paragraphs I mentioned that Turkish people only know Hugh Jackman from X-Men movies. There are a number of disturbing moments that led me to this theory. I call them disturbing because it was very awkward for Jackman as he was trying to involve the audience to join him on this conversation but it felt one-sided. He talked about getting a phone call from Steven Spielberg himself to host the Oscars (which was among my favourite Oscar shows in the last 10 years) and telling his wife that she was going to bed with the host of the 81st Academy Awards; to which his wife Deborra replied: "Billy Crystal is here?" which was actually among the best jokes but it got only a handful of laughters. Did people even know anything about Jackman hosting the Oscars or who Billy Crystal is or they simply didn't find it funny? I hope it's the last one...

Another touching moment was when Jackman started talking about taking on a project to build houses for an Aboriginal community in Bowen when he was 19 years old, saying that he was the happiest he ever was and that he wouldn't be an actor today if it wasn't for his dad who convinced him to go back to his studies. He explained how he was very happy to go back there for the shooting of his movie "Australia" also starring Nicole Kidman. He told us how he slept under a blanket of stars with his son, Oscar, and heartily recommended us to go to Bowen and do the same. Following this story, he asked how many of us actually saw Australia. I think only 7-8 people including me screamed in approval; to which disappointed Jackman replied "Hm I guess only 13 of you saw that". Isn't this just heartbreaking?

There was also little to no response when he was talking about The Boy From Oz and Les Misérables but people went mental when he talked about Wolverine. I sort of saw this coming as I mentioned many times before in my earlier posts that people of Turkey wouldn't really appreciate a good musical. I am 100% sure that 99% of the theatre didn't even know that Jackman won a Tony for his Peter Allen performance in The Boy From Oz... Obviously not everyone has to be interested in musicals enough to know all these information. However, if you are going to attend an event like this, at least do some research will you?

Yea, I am convinced. People only know him as Wolverine... If you want to get out of that demographic, I suggest you start from his magnificent movies like The Prestige and The Fountain... Start with them and move on to the rest! Not all of his movies are perfect obviously, but you just need to get rid of that limited view of him as an actor. As for his Broadway performances, there are tons of videos that can be found.


Back to the show; my most favourite moment in the show was when Hugh Jackman started singing Fever in the middle of the audience. Yea, he left the stage and started moving around row 3-4 when he randomly picked up a middle-aged woman. Things were surely getting hot in the theatre, I mean you must know the song Fever and even Hugh was asking whether the audience was feeling hot! (We were!) And the woman he picked from the audience was wearing a puffy parka coat (ironic enough?), so I guess that's why she was chosen or it was just random luck. Hugh Jackman led the woman, whom we will later recognise as Fatoş, to the stage and then asked his wife's permission to dance with her (adorable much? :P). Well they started dancing, of course the woman was blushing furiously, I mean her face was as if it were painted in cherry red. Then Jackman told us the purpose of Fatoş; to make another woman in the front row he kept picking on feel jealous. When she left the stage, she immediately started taking her coat off which was pointed out by Jackman himself; "She is taking her coat off!!!" which completely consumed the theatre in laughter! Damn, what a lucky woman. People all around me and including me kept commenting on how lucky she was :D Hugh Jackman kept saying her name in the remainder of show, even in the middle of some songs to make sure he was pronouncing it correctly or to simply pick on her even more :P

In short Jackman was pretty involved with the audience. He pointed at us to play a game, he made us keep the rhythm going with clicks and claps and he actually warned us when we stopped. He wanted us to sing along with him but sadly noone knew the lyrics to the songs so unfortunately he sang alone. Although as stiff as I am, I never would have thought this but I actually sang along very loudly during some songs, especially "Not The Boy Next Door" from "The Boy From Oz" musical, a song that I really, really, and I can't stress this enough, REALLY enjoy! It is quite upsetting that the theatre was completely silent during all the songs with the exception of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", I guess that's the only song that Turks know.... Yes we are there to listen to the man sing and dance but his voice was already filling the room, so some musicality from the audience would certainly improve the overall experience. I mean he WANTED us to join him after all! He even said multiple times; "Come on, you know this song", I guess he must have been disappointed to find out that noone actually knew any of those songs! Or maybe they were shy? If I am singing out loud, anyone else also must because I'm most likely the number 1 shy person on this planet!

My second most favourite moment in the show was when he performed "Singin' in the Rain" by Gene Kelly; another song I happily sang out loud. He was accompanied by 4 dancers, whom he called "Dream Girls" and during this number Jackman showcased his tap skills which is a genre I greatly enjoy watching. In some moments the orchestra would stop playing so the only music would come from Jackman's tap shoes!  This performance actually received the second loudest applause (the first was at the very end of course) and it was such a joy to watch.

The show was magical as I pointed out earlier but suffice it to say that I've still got some complaints though. None of them is about Hugh Jackman himself, he was brilliant, completely flawless. How could he even go wrong? However, my biggest complaint is about the Dream Girls and their singing performance. They were supposed to sing the original song from Anne Hathaway's most memorable scene in Les Misérables, a performance that won her an Oscar. I did hear some mumblings from them, I honestly can't call that singing. The orchestra brutally overwhelmed all 4 of their voices combined and we couldn't even hear a word that they were saying so I actually saw a lot of people from the audience looking up to read the translation of the lyrics instead of listening. I didn't have to as I played Anne Hathaway's voice in my head :P When Hugh Jackman would start singing, he would give the orchestra a run for their money with his powerful voice. So it was sort of disturbing to watch those Dream Girls in all of their singing performances "trying" to keep up with Jackman. I've got no complaints with their dancing though! To do what they did in heels... Supernatural...

My second complaint would be about the attitude of the orchestra. Hugh Jackman wanted to improv a song and wanted the orchestra to play random Turkish melodies. He almost asked each of them individually and we could see all of them shaking their heads. Wow, some attitude there! Only one saxophonist took on the challenge and tried to play but only did for about 10 seconds until he stopped and started shaking his head as well. Hugh had to almost beg for some Turkish themed music until 1-2 started to play random tunes and the rest of the orchestra joined them. It didn't even have any traditional Turkish melodies. This whole thing really annoyed me and I just wanted to get up on that stage and slap each and every one of them. You are Turkish musicians and you are playing on a stage in front of 2000 people, accompanying Hugh Jackman, someone who many times asked for a round of applause for his "great orchestra" and you'd let him and us the audience down like that. It was so unprofessional!

In final words, I will put this as simply as possible: This was the best night of my life. I can assure you that this night had some pretty tough competition too. Manchester United vs Bursaspor and Manchester United vs Galatasaray Champions League matches come to my mind but these two are easily replaced by this wonderful musical so thank you for this fantastic experience Hugh Jackman!

By the way, as I was writing this review I found out that the rest of Hugh Jackman's shows are cancelled. "An Evening with Hugh Jackman" would be in theatres from 17th until 20th of March but all his shows are cancelled due to a vocal hemorrhage so on his doctor's orders he won't be singing for 2 weeks. I honestly feel lucky to pick up my ticket for the opening day (and closing day it looks like).

I wish you a fast recovery Hugh Jackman. Get well soon! Here is his tweet on the issue:

Comments

  1. It was a pleasure to read your summary :-) is it one of the longest posts?

    I'm one of those ppl that has seen Jackman in, for example, Prestige while not watching any of X-men movies. It's good to know Hugh Jackman is more than an actor - an actual entertainer (even an artist). I don't think you can put a " = " mark between actors and entertainers, even though those two words are close to each other.

    The ability to connect with the audience is golden. Being spontaneous as well. I had no idea the musical would focus so much on Hugh Jackman, in a positive sense. His "show" was actually "presenting" himself - more sharing, his stories, his personality, with others. A gift of giving of the most valuable one (not only actors, but humans) can offer - his personality. And if that personality wants to entertain, does it well, has skills, talents (and looks ;-) ) to back it up ... you receive an "Evening with Hugh Jackman".

    From your words, think it's safe to assume Hugh can not only connect on a deeper level (with those that want to experience such thing), do it with a charm, but also show his efforts of trying to create an atmosphere of harmony where the Entertainer and Audience "work" together for a better experience. Good to know people like that exist :-) and do it not only for themselves, but having in mind others (think one can sense that).
    And it is inspiring personality, when you look at his efforts to show (without forcing!) his traits even though the X-men image is such a burden. A burden for a man who has something richer to show. I wish him good luck and more musicals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your beautiful comment Shamziro :) Yea, I guess this is one of my longest posts and it doesn't even come close to fully describing the whole show itself. I only talked about my highlights but damn there were so many to begin with! The length of the post could indicate a full summary of the show, but believe me there are still things left out of this post.

      I definitely agree with what you say about the distinction between actors and entertainers. Hugh Jackman is definitely an entertainer. I really admire the talent of any actor who is more than just an actor.

      The musical was "completely" based on Hugh Jackman's life along with his past and upcoming work. It was spontaneous as you said; the whole thing was an improv with the exception of his song picks. So I'm pretty sure that anyone who didn't know English was bored out of their minds as they didn't understand about 60-70% of the show (only songs were translated).

      Hugh Jackman was very successful in connecting with the audience. From my complaints you could understand how tough a spot he was actually in most of the time. But he always found a way to warm up the situation which clearly shows true talent and skill. Not everyone could do something like that.

      "A burden for a man who has something richer to show." I loved this sentence. I am afraid this burden is quite common in Hollywood too, and it's never the actor's fault. I'm glad you got to see some of his other work rather than what the world knows him as. I've been following Hugh's work ever since the start of high school and it's never been about Wolverine for me. While I grew up more, I started seeing him as more of a performer than an actor, and that's exactly what he is in my eyes.

      Thank you again Shamziro. As I know from your comments that you are someone who appreciates a person's versatility; I believe that you'd have really enjoyed the show. I wish you could have been there :(

      Delete
  2. There's no need for a full description - the best parts are probably personal, things that resonate in each member of the audience. Words can be accurate and carefully picked but the value of living the musical is something of your own. No one can take the moment away. That is something deeper than entertaining, a connection.
    If someone is sceptical about art, one should read your words to see what can be experienced, especially when doing some, even basic, research.

    The language barrier is always of great impact. I never really experienced it, as most of my foreign culture contact was through english (which I know since a small kid). Was there a translator? Did the show have some sort of description "mostly english"? (If so, people should have known what they are getting into). 2k people is a lot, but think it could have been possible to organise it. Kind of dissolved communication. But on the other hand, one can focus more on those subtle things than just the words.

    I don't know the audience of Turkey or the audience present at the musical. "They" are who they are, the quality is what it is. The most important factor would be something we cannot possibly know - what did Hugh want to achieve? For example, how did it feel to have Hugh within your sight, closely within your physical reach? He's a star, but also a human who wants to "share himself". Even with his charisma and charm, he's just like you and me. Again connection.
    Maybe Hugh wanted to present some sort of bond, with his life being the conductor? Maybe he sought a bond, and was testing how far can he connect? Going beyond grace of performance (how often could it be seen as artificial?). If I'd have a chance to ask him a question, I'd most def. ask this. Did he mention why has he started doing it all? (deeper motivation than his father's suggestions of continuing studies). What's your gut feeling about this? Please more analysis :-) maybe you have a particular movie in mind that could answer this, a recommendation, article?

    I always appreciate a person who puts his entire Self into his work - it requires not only the ability to do so (!) but will. Perhaps one day I'll have a chance to attend such event with a great person :-)

    Btw: was the 3rd row worth it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are absolutely right. There is no way to describe what you feel during a musical. It isn't something you can express in words but experience with your very own being. Some very basic research would have made anyone else enjoy the show even more. Otherwise, the name of the musicals he kept mentioning are just a random collection of words, nothing less nothing more.

      About your question in regard to translation: There were 3 screens, one on the left side of the stage, one on the right side of the stage and one slightly above the stage. Only song lyrics were translated. The description of the show on the website stated that the show was in English but there would be Turkish translation. Considering the whopping prices of the tickets, I'd have preferred for them to hire an interpreter and translate Jackman's words through earpieces that they would distribute at the entrance. But this didn't happen. Of course I wouldn't have used this but I'm pretty sure some people would have wanted that option. And yea there were some subtle things than just words. He pointed at people, he blinked at them, he asked some people their names and repeated after them, he did a lot to make people feel involved.

      To answer your question about him being within my sight: It felt amazing to be in his presence. As you said, he is just a human being, and he was on that stage as a human being. As far as what he wanted to achieve, I think he achieved it with some of us. I believe he wanted to personally connect and tell his life story. Even for anyone who knows him as only Wolverine, he was completely someone else on that stage: A son, a husband, a father, a dancer, a singer, a performer, a comedian, an actor, a humanist and last but not least and most importantly a human being! All the stories he told could easily be summarised with this.

      When he was telling the story of Bowen, he touched the subject of racism a little bit, to which I actually yelled out loud in approval, to my surprise I was the only one to do so. He really valued what they did in that city and he also brought 2 Aborigines who played their traditional instrument Didgeridoo before he sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow. He kindly asked the audience to give them a loud applause, but honestly he didn't even have to ask us. Those people deserved to get a standing ovation. About the project; he went there when he was 19 years old with a couple of his mates. After spending some months there, his friends left but he decided to stay a while longer. He would have kept staying too but his father convinced him to finish the university first; he didn't really add anything else.

      I really hope that you will also get to experience something like this, by yourself or with someone great. Either way, it's an experience that is worth living whether you are solo or with company.

      About the 3rd row, I think it was 3rd row when I bought the ticket, I did pay quite a hefty sum after all but I wasn't sitting in 3rd row. To be perfectly honest with you the first 3-4 row were filled with Turkish famous people and people with special invitation. Nonetheless I was still pretty close to the stage, for example Cem Yılmaz a veeeeeeeeeery famous comedian in Turkey was sitting only 3-4 rows in front of me but I admit I did have regrets about not buying the most expensive ticket instead of opting out for the 2nd most expensive one. I wish I went full out :( But even if I did, there was no way for me to be ever seated in the first 4 rows as it was reserved for "special" people with "special" friends in "special" places ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing the concert in Istanbul. It was so difficult to get any good writeup of what went on during the only performance in March. Hopefully, your account will encourage those will attend the show on May 31-June 1 will be more encouraged to read up on some of the material used in the show...and more importantly to response positively during the moments when Hugh tries to engage the audience in the musical experience!

      I had seen the first version of the show in San Francisco...and later on in New York on Broadway. Having been very familiar with Hugh Jackman's stage and film career, the experience was very exhilarating as he is a solid and very charming entertainer. Whether he singled out individuals or engaged the entire theatre in some of the numbers -- we were all laughing, humming, singing along, responding loudly, altogether enjoying ourselves! Even New York Times top critic Ben Brantley was prompted to write such a complimentary review of the show and called Hugh Jackman a Master Entertainer ( who engaged in flirtation with the masses ;-) !

      I only saw this page today...and my appreciation is quite delayed.

      But I hope you will try to see the show again when he comes back to Instanbul...and you will share your experiences and impressions the second ( or even third...) time around?

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. And if you haven't read it, here's the review from Ben Brantley of the New York Times of essentially the same show.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/theater/reviews/hugh-jackman-back-on-broadway-at-broadhurst-review.html?_r=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I was quite chuffed about the show and despite taking me a full day to write the recap of it, it was fantastic to relive that experience once again in my head.

      To be honest now I feel quite jealous that you got to see him at the heart of Broadway :). I wish I had the means to travel to New York and watch him there (among other Broadway shows). This was the first Broadway show I attended and I never thought it would be that mesmerising.

      Hugh Jackman is surely an entertainer, I really hope the audience of Turkey grasped that. I wish the response from the audience was as positive as your experience. We had to make do with a couple of laughs and a standing ovation in the end. Other than that there was no engagement from the audience even though Hugh almost had to beg for it. He even pointed at random individuals to make them clap but noone was paying any real attention. It was quite sad.

      I really wish I could attend the other shows as well but the prices of the tickets are quite expensive so I am afraid I have to cherish this one experience for the remainder of my life. I wish I had the means to see ALL of the shows. It would have been a treat to write reviews of them.

      Again thank you for your comment. I'm so happy to see that my hard work (good or bad but it's hard work :P) is reaching an audience.

      Ps, thank you for Ben Brantley's review :)

      Delete
  4. Are you seeing the show again? If you are, please give us another account of the evening.

    Also, how was the song he introduced from his new movie musical ? Was it a ballad...or a catchy one? What was it all about?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned before, I am unable to see the show multiple times due to financial difficulties. However, according to the short reviews I have read, he is doing different things. Considering the show is mostly improvisation, this is no surprise. This is why I wish I had a chance to see all the shows.

      The song was like a conversation (like in Les Misérables). The story was about a barter taking place between a merchant and a buyer. In the song, they were trying to make a deal.

      Delete
  5. Thanks. I had seen some clips and it seems they did some songs from Les Mis. I also saw the clip of him and some audience members doing what must have been a Turkish folk dance? If there are any interesting reviews, any chance you could share some of them, by way of summaries? Thanks again.

    The song from Greatest Showman sounds interesting and looks as if it is in the nature of musical theatre - - a song that advances the story itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid there aren't any interesting or detailed reviews. Just very short news of him doing a show, all of them are in Turkish and believe me, Google Translate is not your friend :) This is coming from a Linguist ;) I only saw pictures of him doing bellydancing during a star studded after-party when his last show ended.

      In the show I attended, he indeed sang a song from Les Mis and he also did some Turkish folk dance (which is why he asked Turkish themed melodies from the orchestra in the first place).

      Apart from that I only know that he drank Turkish Coffee during his second show and asked someone from the audience to do a reading for him (He didn't do this in the show I attended). I don't know if the singing performance from the dancers improved or if the orchestra still gave him a hard time.

      I can't wait for Greatest Showman on Earth, it promises to be a brilliant musical and I'm pretty sure the two of us will thoroughly enjoy it.

      I wish I had attended all the shows so I could have more information for you. I am sorry but that's all I have :'(

      Delete
    2. I am also sorry for the late responses. Real life has taken its toll these days :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment