Featured Post

Hearthstone: Gluth Heroic Guide for Mages

I am sorry hat the last two heroic guides of Construct Quarter bosses has been delayed. My professional life has been up and down lately so I couldn't get a chance to finish these off. The last wing, Frostwyrm Lair, will be released tomorrow and I still didn't finish the guide of the previous wing. So please forgive me for that.

Gluth is the third boss in Construct Quarter and if you decide to go for minion heavy route it will be pretty hectic. People say Shockadin is a pretty effective deck for this but I found Freeze Mage to be the most effective one. I defeated Gluth on my first attempt with the deck I'm about to share with you and it actually was pretty easy as well. But if you decide to go with minions, the fight will probably be very challenging.

On normal mode Gluth has 30 health and his hero power changes the health of ALL minions to 1 for 2 mana. On heroic mode Gluth's health increases to 45 and his hero power changes the health of ENEMY minions to 1 for 0 mana. 


On heroic version Gluth starts the fight with a Zombie Chow and an Unstable Ghoul already on his side of the board. Gluth will use minions like Abomination, Unstable Ghoul and Zombie Chow quite frequently, so you can use his Abominations to set off a chain reaction that will end up wiping up the board and on top of it, heal you! And you will need this healing too because Gluth is melee attack heavy boss that will need to be freezed on and off, othherwise with just 2-3 cards he can do about 13-14 damage to your hero.


Here is the Mage deck I used to defeat Gluth on Heroic. You basically play as a freeze mage. I don't have cards like Doomsayer, Alexstrazsa, Ice Block so I had to make do with what I had and it worked out pretty well. I don't have a second Pyroblast either so if you have these cards I named you might want to include them as they would really make the whole encounter even easier. If you have Harrison Jones, that could be a great card against Gluth as his weapon has lots of durability that will return to you as card draw.

Mulligan: Oozes are necessary, towards mid and late game we will use a lot of our AoE spells to clear the board and all the minions we kill off will have Deathrattle effects. If we let his Jaws stay on, it will get an insane buff. I've seen that weapon being buffed to about 17-21 on some streams. Youthful Brewmaster is in the deck simply in order to get an extra Ooze. But I never drew my Brewmaster. Let's just say it's more of an insurance card. Also having at least 1 Frost Nova early on is useful to stall the heavy onslaught of Gluth's minions.

Strategy: You will basically play as a typical Freeze Mage. Freeze minions as much as possible and use all your spells on Gluth. When Gluth uses his Jaws, don't hesitate to destroy it with either Harrison Jones or Ooze. Especially late game Gluth will be in top deck mode, if you are on low health always try to freeze Gluth because he can top deck something that will give him about 6 attack that might end up killing you. Don't use all your Frostbolts and Ice Lances in one turn to increase your damage input. You might regret that later when Gluth gets a weapon or a card that will let him attack your hero as you won't have a way to deal with it anymore. 

Try to wait for him to flood the board as much as possible. Don't use your AoE too early. You will know when the time is right to set off the chain reaction with Abominations and Unstable Ghouls. You will also end up healing yourself quite a lot as there will be many Zombie Chows being played. So if you are low on health there is no need to be in despair. The time will come for you to heal yourself.

Kobold Geomancer is in the deck in order to boost your spells. If you have Bloodmage Thalnos, that's the ideal card to have of course but I don't have it so I opted for a budget version. Kobold will buff up your weak AoE spells like Arcane Explosion and by also using your hero power, you can kill off an Unstable Ghoul and whatever Zombie Chow is on board so it's actually a pretty effective removal. There is not a target for Big Game Hunter, I only included him because he is low cost and he has a high attack value so even if he stays alive for 1 turn, he can deal 4 damage to Gluth. You can also include Magma Ragers for this fight but again the whole idea with this deck is to use spells so I didn't include many minions. 

The deck might look pretty bad on paper but believe me it was actually quite effective and I defeated Gluth on my first attempt without any troubles.

Good luck and have fun. I will upload heroic guide for Thaddius later today.

Comments