Featured Post

Shaun of the Dead 12" Talking Figure Review

I might have mentioned once or twice before in my posts that Shaun of the Dead has been my number 1 movie of ALL time! So I decided that when I had a stable income one of the first things I will buy would be a collector item about this movie. I was thinking of a T-shirt or maybe something else but when I found out there was a 12 inches figure of the lead character Shaun, I was simply chuffed to bits. Talking feature also seemed like a fun idea and I couldn't wait to try it out after I purchased it.


The packaging itself seems sturdy enough to handle the Zombie Apocalypse with ease. I had to spend about 10-15 minutes to remove Shaun and his accessories from its neat package. The box itself looks great enough to display if you prefer to portray your figures in their boxes. But I should also note that inside the box there is a cardboard of bloody zombie hands to be used as a background which I think is a nice touch.



























The details of the figure itself, particularly his head sculpture, certainly aren't as good as you can find on figures from Hot Toys. But those Hot Toys figure cost at least 4-5 times as much. However, for the money I really shouldn't complain about the details as this Shaun figure is simply excellent. The fact that he talks is just the icing on the already tasty cake.

When I decided to buy this figure, I naturally did some research as to what people thought of it. I noticed that some of the buyers complained about problems with its paint work. But to be completely fair my figure was in perfect condition. I had absolutely no flaws with the paint application. I quite liked the red ink on his breast pocket as well. It reminds me of the famous line from the movie "You've got red on you".


The figure itself seems strong enough to take a fall or two but I wouldn't recommend playing with the tie too much as it looks like it can easily be broken. The stand resembling the carpet in Shaun's flat looks pretty good. I especially like the chest and the CDs. The chest can be opened and closed. You can choose to display your Shaun with his chest open and store it with the records that are included in the box like I did. I must admit it looks pretty cute. I really love the detailing on the flowers as well. Paired with the cricket bat you've got yourselves a Shaun that just came alive from the movie posters.



My only *real* complaint would be not being able to move the arms. You can only move the whole arm from his shoulders back and forth but you can't move below the elbow. I'd have preferred to place his arm a little bit closer to his torso but I'm afraid that is not possible.


My only *not-so-real* complaint would be his talking feature which I thought was not exactly pointless but unnecessary when I heard the quality of it. I would have preferred them to work more on the head sculpture and make it resemble Simon Pegg even more but needless to say that it is indeed a fun function. 

I thought the lines they picked for that feature were quite good. Some of the best lines in the movie involve other characters as well and they usually take the form of a dialogue so in my honest opinion they went with some of the best Shaun "exclusives". Though I wish it had "Get f****d four eyes" line. 

Quality of Shaun's voice could be better but that certainly doesn't mean it's poor albeit it does sound like it was recorded with a mid-range smartphone. However, as someone who doesn't intend on using the talking function, it's still pretty adequate for me IF I do want to take it for a ride. The volume of his vocal is surely more than enough as my dog, Akira, paid quite a lot of attention accompanied by loud barks from the moment I started testing it.

Overall I think this is a really good quality Shaun of the Dead figure for the money. This is the kind of figure that should be displayed on the shelf of every Shaun of the Dead fan. Be sure to pick one up if it's among your favourite movies as it won't be putting a dent in your budget.



Shaun makes a great addition right next to my Col. Hans Landa. I've also got Loki from Avengers on the other side of my shelf (review to come). This trio will be able to handle whatever Apocalyptic scenario you throw at them!

Comments