Featured Post

SYTYCD Top 6 Recap

Week 9 was surely a packed show full of fantastic performances. Each dancer performed 4 times in the show. Cat kept saying 3 but she left out the group performance for some reason. When you add solos, group performance, all-star performance, and couples performance to the mix, well you guessed it right, you get 4 performances! They must have been exhausted at the end of the show :D As each dancer performed 4 times, the concept of this post will be a little different from my previous recaps of SYTYCD. In my previous posts I talked about the performances in order. But for this one I'll specify a name and talk about his or her performances under that section until all the dancers are covered which will also make it tidier and easier if you are interested in let's say 1 dancer only.

(Note: I'm sorry if there are any spelling mistakes. I'm writing this post while I'm watching the UEFA Super Cup match between Bayern Munich and Chelsea :D)


The guest judge for this week was my personal favourite guest judge EVER! Of course I am talking about Jesse Tyler Ferguson! He is definitely one of the funniest people that set foot on this planet let alone SYTYCD judging panel! I really enjoyed his commentary and laughed out loud most of the time. Believe me it is MUCH better than watching Modern Family because he is being himself and he is not given lines to recite. It's all him :) I particularly found it sweet when he admitted he had a man crush on Aaron, he even said he looked like his husband :D Then he blushed and hid under the table, It was hilarious! :D

We've got plenty of performances to cover so I better start now.

Group performance of the evening was an African Jazz number choreographed by Sean Cheesman. Sean's wok is staring to grow more on me now as I see more of his exquisite talent and I love Afro Jazz a lot as a genre so when these two got together in addition to the best top 6 that this show has seen so far in all of 10 seasons, the performance itself was magnificent! For some reason for me Aaron and especially Jasmine stood out in this performance.



There were no dancers in the bottom this week as the dancers who are eliminated would be announced at the end of the show. Before the dancers did their solos a short interview was carried out with their parents. It must have been emotional for them to watch those interviews. You could clearly see from their families eyes how proud they were of their children. They are very lucky to have that kind of support.

Now let's break it down dancer by dancer :D

SOLOS AND ALL-STAR PERFORMANCES

AMY



Amy is a very beautiful and talented dancer. I loved her solo above. I really liked the song too. But below is her all-star performance with Alex Wong. They danced Bollywood. It's not exactly my cup of tea but I kind of enjoyed this one. Alex and Amy were fantastic together. I'm glad Alex finally got to do Bollywood as in his own season he was injured cause of Bollywood which led to his leaving the competition due to his injury. He is a great Bollywood dancer!



FIK-SHUN



Fik-Shun's solo was THE BEST hip-hop solo this show must have EVER seen!!!! Definitely the best!!! I've enjoyed it so much I can't even explain it. It looks like Jesse enjoyed it too as he was up in the air clapping excitedly :D His all-star performance was a Foxtrot with Witney. The performance was not exactly weak but it wasn't good either. Witney was really good but Fik-Shun wasn't given a lot to work with. Judges criticised him on certain technical issues however I didn't enjoy the performance that much not because of technical issues as I don't understand them but because I don't find the genre to be particularly exciting.



JASMINE



Jasmine is without question the strongest candidate to be America's Favourite Dancer. I believe that she'll be crowned the winner in the next week's performance finale. Her solo was superb and her contemporary pieced choreographed by Tyce Diorio was one of the highlights of the show. Actually whatever performance she was in was the highlight of the show that week. She was joined by another magnificent contemporary dancer Neil. Jasmine+Neil+Tyce! What else can one want? The piece also carried an important plot. The story was about the struggles that people go through during a catastrophic event such as a hurricane or a tsunami. There were movements which depicted a whirlwind and throughout the performance there were paper flying across the stage as if the weather was windy. The atmosphere was breathtaking, I just wish the audience would SHUT UP. God I'm really losing it everytime they yell!



AARON


I adored Aaron's Tap solo. I really enjoy tap as a genre and if I could find some courses I'd definitely take them but there is only one company that offers tap lessons and that's in a city 4 hours away from me, sadly...This show hasn't had that many tappers but it had its fair share. And we saw many tap solos. I also watched many tap videos on Youtube. Also watched Christopher Scott tapping in LXD. But what Aaron did was by far the best I've seen someone dance in this genre. His all-star performance was a Broadway piece choreographed by Spencer Liff. He was joined by Melanie. They portrayed a couple who kept fighting all the time despite being incredibly in love with each other. They portrayed that perfectly, I especially loved how fed up Melanie was at the start of the routine yelling her heart out at Aaron. Unfortunately Aaron dropped Melanie there for a second and it looked like it hurt but they carried on nevertheless and the overall performance was magnificent. We can even say that drop was intended as they kept pissing each other off due to the story. Melanie was even more pissed after Aaron dropped her which was hilarious. I wish all fights were like that :P Despite dropping Melanie, Aaron got great critics from the judges. Mary even said despite all that if she had to pick a partner to dance with she'd still pick Aaron.



HAYLEY



Hayley's solo was impressive, not as impressive as Jasmine but she was amazing. Her all-star performance; however, included my favourite dancer in season 4, champion Joshua! Joshua won season 4 where Twitch was the runner up. I'm of the opinion that Joshua is a much better dancer than Twitch and I was so glad to see him back on the show again as this was the first time he danced after he won his season. He is an all-star alright!!! The hip-hop piece was choreographed by Nappytabs and it was a very fun one indeed. It was about a female boxer who was being trained by a champion. Nigel pointed out that Hayley looked like Hillary Swank's character in Million Dollar Baby, I swear at that exact second I was thinking how similar they looked. Was Hayley as strong as Joshua? Is it even fair to ask that question? Can ANYONE be as strong as Joshua? Seriously? Of course she wasn't but she was excellent nonetheless! But it was very difficult for me to keep my eyes off Joshua so I stuck to watching him throughout the performance :)



PAUL


Just because I left Paul for last doesn't mean I like him any less. I love all these 6 dancers! As for Paul's solo, we shouldn't forget how difficult it can be to do a solo for a ballroom dancer. Despite that I think Paul was pretty impressive with his solo. It didn't bore me at all and I wanted to see more. For his all-star performance Paul was joined by Kathryn for a jazz piece choreographed by Tyce Diorio. I loved this performance. Particularly the entrance was stunning. Kathryn was impeccable as always but Paul was brilliant as well.



COUPLES PERFORMANCES

PAUL & HAYLEY

Paul and Hayley were teamed up for a contemporary routine choreographed by Dee Caspery. We haven't seen Dee that often in this season so I was glad to see him return. This contemporary piece was one of the best performances of the night. It involved the story of a guy supporting his loved one through every struggle. The fluidity of the movement was even better than perfect. I loved the transition between movements and how well it flowed together. It was simply beautiful.



AMY & FIK-SHUN

I was incredibly happy when this magnificent couple was brought back together again. Seeing two of them dance together just puts a smile on my face. They joined together for a Dave Scott hip-hop number. It was great to see do another hip-hop number. I love how creative Dave Scott his with his pieces. This one was no different. It was hard hitting and the dancers never missed a beat. It was about a girl who loved to go out shopping and showing off what she bought. It was pretty funny when we find out that all the fuss in the routine was about a scarf. Amy certainly enjoyed her part in that :D Fik-Shun was incredible as always. He is one of the best hip-hoppers so it was expected of him to be that good anyway.


AARON & JASMINE

I was literally heartbroken when these two were split up. Same thing was even said by Jesse, he said he hated it when the all-stars joined and the couples had to be split up. I'm glad they were brought back together again. They are the power couple after all, and they did everything that was thrown at them with such excellence and professionalism. I can never get enough of this couple that's for sure. The contemporary pieced that they performed together was created by Sean Cheesman. This is definitely his best work to date so far. The story of the dance was about a man who keeps looking at himself in this mirror and sees this woman that only he can see. The woman is actually trapped in the mirror and she carries him inside her world. The story is unique and the movement was spectacular. This one was the BEST routine of the night and I noticed that the best routines were always performed the last this season. Especially taking account of the last 3 or 4 weeks the most beautiful performances were done at the end of the show. Of course this is subjective but anyway.



After all the dancers performed their numbers unfortunately it was time to lose 2 more dancers. The judges didn't decide this time, it was all up to America. The two dancers that got the least votes would simply go home. At this point it is hard to lose anyone as I grown to like all of them but my predictions came true. I said from the beginning of the season that Aaron, Jasmine, Amy and Fik-Shun would make it into the finale and that's exactly what happened. Hayley and Paul were eliminated from the competition and their smiles were such a sight to see. Paul is called as the "smile guy" and that's really true. He's got a beautiful smile. I wish them the best in their dancing careers. I'm sure they have a long way ahead of them and they'll be very successful in their lives.


Here are the finalists of So You Think You Can Dance season 10! Next week's show will be FAN-TAS-TIC!!!!!!


Comments