Featured Post

William King's World of Warcraft: Illidan Review

What kind of a fangirl would I be if I didn’t review Illidan book by William King right? Unfortunately though this will be the most negative review I have ever written in my life cause I have never felt this much disappointed about something I have been anticipating for “ten thousand years”!


My main problem with the book was the narative of the author William King. First of all there are a lot of repetitions of words. I was beginning to think that the author wanted to use the word “thousand” at least a thousand times. I also felt that there were out of character dialogues, to quote Illidan when he is called The Betrayer, "If I had a copper everytime someone called me that I'd build a tower as high as the moon", this one seriously made me cringe. I found some of the phrases quite obscene such as Magtheridon calling the Lich King's Scourge army "The Walking Dead”. It feels like the characters were talking in our world rather than in the Warcraft universe. Depictions are almost non-existent and the ones that are there feels like it was written by an amateur writer: He wore an impressive armor in green and purple. I expected much better from a best selling novelist.

The highlight of the book is the background information about Illidan creating Demon Hunters in his image. There is only one chapter that explains how the transformation takes place, what the Demon Hunters feel in the process and ultimately their training. But that’s pretty much it. For a book that was promised to enlighten fans about the background of the Demon Hunters, there was only one chapter, about 12-14 pages, which was truly dedicated to this. About 70% of the book focuses on Maiev’s completely pointless and obsessive hunt to take down Illidan. I thought the book was called “Illidan” not Maiev?? 


What’s even worse is that there was not a single mention about Leotheras the Blind, the first "Demon Hunter" boss you face in Serpentshrine Cavern in World of Warcraft Burning Legion expansion. Lots of new fantasy characters we have never heard of were created ; however, Leotheras the Blind, the one Demon Hunter who indeed exists in the game wasn’t even used once. What a missed opportunity.

The book definitely got something right though and that’s how much of a delusional bitch Maiev is. The fact that we are still dealing with Legion could very well be blamed on her for disrupting Illidan’s efforts. Of course there are no guarantees but Illidan could have very well wiped out The Legion even at the cost of his life if she didn’t constantly interrupt him. I don't want him to die though so I guess I have Maiev to thank for that!

In final words, I expected much more from a best selling author who had published over dozens of fantasy books but William King is seriously overshadowed by other Warcraft novel authors such as Richard A. Knaak and Christie Golden. This number 1 Illidan fangirl in the universe deserved better! :'(

Comments