Featured Post

Ash vs Evil Dead Review: It's Everything I Wanted!

Ever since its announcement, I've been on the hype train for the upcoming TV project of Evil Dead. I am not one to get easily hyped about anything but it is just impossible not to feel overwhelming excitement when one hears about Bruce Campbell returning to his most iconic role as Ash and the resurrection of the Evil Dead series!

I've been an Evil Dead fan right from the start. Watching Army of Darkness (3rd movie in the series) has been one of my most positive and enjoyable experiences in my life. The humour in Army of Darkness is definitely the best in the series so I hold that particular movie very dear to my heart and it sits right at the top of my list of ultimate best movies alongside Shaun of the Dead in Horror/Comedy category. 


Which is why I'm chuffed to bits beyond explanation that Ash vs Evil Dead captured the essence of what made Evil Dead and especially Army of Darkness so magnificent in the first place. The pilot episode of Ash vs Evil Dead is one of the best pilot episodes I've watched in a show so far. Because being a fan of the original movies, everything I could have ever hoped for from this series is provided to me in plentiful! 

Blood, gore, cheesy humour that only works thanks to Ash, evil monsters that you can't decide whether to be scared of or to laugh at... The only thing I am not so sure of at the moment is the side characters. Speaking of cheesy humour, the first episode of Ash vs Evil Dead is indeed full of cheesy dialogues and scenes that would normally make me cringe. But this is Evil Dead! Only Bruce Campbell can effortlessly make me laugh extremely out loud at his pathetic flirting with his co-worker or his absurd sex scene. How does he do that? This is a "groovy" phenomenon that needs to be researched!

Despite all of these humourous scenes, an Ash fan like me can't help but wait in anticipation for him to wield his iconic weapons and get right into action to slay some monsters though! Lucky for us, we don't have to wait for long before this happens in the first episode! Which is why I found myself cheering and laughing happily in another borderline ridiculous scene reuniting him with his famous chainsaw! There is no way that an Evil Dead fan will be able to restrict themselves from laughing in an evil way during this scene! I dare you!


I admit I hate associating actors with one particular role as I learned to appreciate them in a variety of different roles and their diverse acting abilities. This is something I mentioned before in my previous posts using Hugh Jackman and his Wolverine role as an example. Thus, I will truly hate myself for saying this but; Bruce Campbell, YOU WERE BORN TO BE ASH BABY!

In short, Ash vs Evil Dead is everything that us die-hard Evil Dead fans could have asked and hoped for. While it is not for everyone, which is the case for pretty much everything in this entire universe, it will definitely do much more than satisfying the core fan base of the original movies as well as do its very best to recruit new ones in its army!

Evil Dead series really needed this show to redeem itself in our eyes after that horrifying (not in a good way) remake I couldn't stand. No Ash? Sorry but Evil Dead is not Evil Dead without Ash. Get a grip in reality! 

Now my expectation from Ash vs Evil Dead is to maintain this high level of quality it achieved with its premiere episode and to improve upon it even more. I'm pretty positive that it will succeed in doing so!
  

Comments