Featured Post

Grand Piano Review, Suspense at its Best!

I know I haven't written any movie reviews lately. Well that's because most of my time was spent with either Hearthstone or some other game like Dungeon Keeper or Heroes of Might and Magic. I really didn't get a chance to watch anything at all for the past month which is actually a first for me as I am sort of addicted to watching movies.

Well, I finally got a chance to get back to watching some movies now and Grand Piano is the first movie I started out my exciting marathon with. I have nothing but absolute positive thoughts about this movie. From story line to acting, almost everything has been perfect for me.


Grand Piano revolves around a brilliant pianist Tom Selznick (Elijah Wood) who is making a comeback to stage performing after choking on a piece he tried to play 5 years ago. Tom has severe stage fright and from the moment he gets on the plane or the limo he wishes for there to be some sort of crash so he won't make it to his performance because he is extremely afraid of reliving the past where he was ridiculed after his failure.

But of course there isn't any crash and despite his disappointment he makes it to the stage in one piece. But things take a turn for the much worse when he realises notes written down on his sheet music just before he starts his performance. These notes indicate that if Tom plays a single note incorrectly, he and his actress wife, who organised his comeback performance, will get killed.

Acting was completely top notch in Grand Piano. John Cusack has very little screen time but we hear his voice throughout the entire movie and his voice acting is brilliant. Well John Cusack himself is brilliant, what else is there to say? He is one of my most favourite actors out there and even his voice is enough to make anyone feel his talent and presence without being actually present himself (did that make sense to you? because it makes perfect sense to me). 

As for Elijah Wood, he has been a force to be reckoned with these days. I'm sure many people out there see him as just Frodo which is quite upsetting. If you are one of those people I suggest you watch his other work like The Good Son, Wilfred, and of course Grand Piano among many others. I found him absolutely impeccable in Grand Piano and he is starting to be one of those actors whose work I follow wholeheartedly.


Grand Piano is the type of movie that will keep on building suspense until the very end. The experience I had with Grand Piano was like riding the biggest roller coaster in the world. But it also feels like it was cut short because the movie only has a run time of about 80 minutes. I really didn't want the movie to end. You see these movies that last for 2 or even 3 hours and nothing really happens in them except tons of special effects and absolutely 0 "decent" writing. Grand Piano has a lot going for it and yet it only lasts for 80 minutes. Very very disappointing!

The music that's been played by the orchestra in the movie was stunning. The movie is already great and we are also treated to some amazing music almost the entire time which is just amazing! Just like some incredibly tasty chocolate icing on an incredibly tasty chocolate cake! The story and the way it developed were more than thrilling enough to keep me at the edge of my seat the whole time while I watched Grand Piano.

If you check forums you will come across a lot of people complaining about plot holes or logic mistakes. Well if you want to enjoy a movie, don't ever nitpick it. All movies have some sort of "how is that even possible, that doesn't make any sense" moments. Just let those go, otherwise you will never be able to truly enjoy a movie. Don't think too hard on small things like the placement of the piano or plot holes in John Cusack's character's plan. Just watch and enjoy the movie without questioning everything. To me it was a truly great experience!

Comments