Featured Post

Goodbye The Good Wife! (Major Spoiler)

If you haven't watched last night's episode of the 5th season of The Good Wife do not read on. Or actually just keep reading so you won't be shocked to almost death like me at the end of the episode!


Because this has been the most shocking moment I have ever witnessed in the history of television. Yes we lost tons of other characters, many characters were killed off or retired or simply just let go from all sorts of TV shows like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. But this one definitely takes the cake! And no this is not a good thing!!!! I am not complementing at all. Although for the shock value it sure did hell of a fantastic job!

So if you have actually watched last night's (for me it was last night) The Good Wife episode then you know that our beloved character Will Gardner, probably the most likable character again in the history of television, was killed by his deranged client Jeffrey Grant, who was accused of killing a college student after she resisted against his rape attempts, during his trial.

Luckily we don't see any actual killing but we hear it. When we watch Diane's trial in another courtroom close to Will's we hear gunshots and we kind of know what the hell is happening because in the previous scene Jeffrey makes it obvious that it is his intention to go for the security guard's gun. However, sometimes we just don't need to see things do we? Because this way we can hope. We hope that it will be your typical Hollywood happy ending like noone will get hurt or die. But it wasn't like that! 

As Kalinda rushes in to check on Will, we first see a man lying on the floor with only one shoe on his feet. We do not see the face or the body of this man. We hope it is not Will but when Kalinda approaches him we see that he is indeed Will and he is shot by the neck.

Later on in the hospital we see the very same feet with one shoe when his death was announced. He is covered in bed sheets. We know it is Will but as Kalinda approaches to lift the sheet to check if it's Will we hope, just like Kalinda that this is just some sick joke and the man lying there will not be Will. But no, of course it was Will again, lifeless. Good god I am so pissed writing this right now!

I have never felt this close to any TV character before. Will Gardner was the most lovable character that I have ever had the privilege of witnessing the story of. I am not a romantic at all and I don't consider myself to be an emotional person, I am actually a rock when it comes to emotions but The Good Wife was the first show that ever made me root for the main characters to actually get together and find happiness in the end. And it was solely Will who made me feel this way. In a show filled with frozen faces and unlikable characters Will for me represented life and all the positive things that this life can offer us. As I mentioned before, this is not the first time a beloved character was killed in a show. But there has never been another TV character who managed to win my heart like this. I never want to feel connected to a TV character ever again. This will be my first and last time! I am making this promise to myself right now!

Quitting the show because one character is gone might sound mental. And this is something I have never done before but I will probably do it with The Good Wife because for me the only approachable thing about the show was the beautiful dynamic between Alicia Florrick and Will Gardner. The only story worth following in this show was to see if they would be together in the end. While I am happy that the show didn't go for the expected scenario, for someone who wanted a happy ending FOR THE FIRST TIME in her life, this was a big disappointment, a huge shock and incredibly upsetting! And I just don't see The Good Wife worth watching anymore which is sad because I've enjoyed this show for 5 years now. But for me this marks the end of the line I'm afraid. And although the show is picked up for a 6th season I strongly believe that killing a major character like this will definitely affect the show. Not in a good way! (I am writing this statement based on viewers' reactions to Will's death because I am definitely not the only person who got incredibly upset over this).

As for the reason why Will is gone, the magnificent actor Josh Charles wanted to leave the show after his contract expired in the 4th season. But he was persuaded to stay for one more season. At least it was Josh Charles' decision to leave the show. That's my only consolation so far. I've thoroughly enjoyed his performances in Sports Night, Threesome, Dead Poets Society among other movies/shows. So I hope Hollywood will get a hold of this lad and we'll get to see more of him in the future!

Comments