Featured Post

The World's End and The Wolverine Reviews

Sunday is the only day I've got left when I have free time to do anything of my choosing because I work on Saturdays too which is rather unpleasant and if by chance I happen to have a few business owners or bosses reading my posts my suggestion to you is, do not make your employees work on a Saturday! You might think it's productive but in reality it is not. You are only alienating your employees from enjoying their work. In my case I love what I do and I love my job but working on Saturdays really deplete my energy so I don't have enough time to fully restore it back for the next business week.

Well anyway so my Sundays are usually filled with lots of movies or TV shows. Tonight was not an exception. My chips, coke (I regret not buying beer, I'll tell you the reason further in the post) and dipping sauce were all ready. Actually the chips cut my tongue a bit and right now I'm hurting, this has never happened before so I'm a bit confused. I had Akira ready too by taking a long nap on my bed while I enjoyed my movie night.

As for my movie selection I picked The World's End and The Wolverine. I've wanted to watch these two for a very long time, especially the former, but I couldn't find them anywhere. The Wolverine is in theatres in Turkey but release date of The World's End in Turkey isn't even known yet, I really wanted to watch it on the big screen but I had to make do with my 32inch TV for now. Anyway I finally found them a couple of days ago although it was rather difficult for me to wait for 2 WHOLE days for Sunday to come so I could have the time to thoroughly enjoy it. So let's start with the first movie I watched for the night, The World's End!

The World's End Review ("Might" Contain Small Elements of Spoilers but Nothing Major!)


The World's End is a movie that I've been waiting for years. I love Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Nick Frost so anything that this trio does I'm there cheering for them 100%! Shaun of the Dead is my ultimate favourite movie of all time and Hot Fuzz is my second favourite movie. I've wanted a third movie for a very long time and when The World's End was announced I was so happy I might have teared up a little. But also got very emotional because it would be the final movie of the series of movies that this trio have created: The Cornetto Trilogy: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End. Believe me these three chaps and movies make the world a better place and life more livable!!! Let's see which Cornetto represents which movie: Shaun of the Dead has red coloured Strawberry Cornetto because there is a lot of blood and gore in the movie. Hot Fuzz has Blue Cornetto because blue is the colour of the police force. The World's End has green coloured Mint Chocolate Cornetto because green signifies sci-fi and alien aspects.

So let's talk a bit about the story of The World's End. The movie follows the story of 5 friends from Newton Haven, Gary, Oliver, Pete, Steven, Andy, who wants to achieve the Golden Mile, that is to drink one pint from 12 pubs that are located in their hometown, the last of them being called The World's End, hence the name of our movie. 


The movie starts off with Gary during an AA meeting (no surprise that he is an alcoholic) telling the story about the best day of his life when our 5 main characters were in their teenage years, drinking, chasing girls, partying and basically having fun. They try to attempt the Golden Mile but they can't even get close to finishing. They even have to ditch 2 of their friends who simply couldn't even continue anymore. (And this is the reason why I regret not watching it with a beer because the whole movie is about it :D I can't believe I drank COKE instead!!!! This movie should be watched with 12 pints of Guinness. I'm definitely doing that sometime in the future.)


After Gary is done with his story which happened over 20 years ago we now get to see the boring lives of now our grown up characters who have jobs and families of course except one of them who didn't grow up that much and still dreams of achieving that goal. So the movie follows up as Gary gathers up all his friends with some persuasion skills to take them back to Newton Haven to attempt the Golden Mile once again (he is so persuasive that his friends continually point out that there is no point in arguing with him because he is always right). This skill is put to good use when he tries to get his best friend Andy to agree with the plan because Andy hasn't had a single drink ever since that day and thus must be incredibly thirsty according to Gary (one of my favourite lines in the movie). Gary, this little child that is stuck in a grown man's body who hasn't changed much at all is successfully portrayed by the incredible Simon Pegg. Actually so successfully portrayed that at some point I dreamed that I was married to Simon. I don't dream about actors but Simon Pegg has a very different place in my heart which of course started off with Shaun of the Dead. On a side note I LOVED Martin Freeman who played Oliver or O-Man (a nickname he hates that was given to him by his friends because he has an O shaped birthmark on his temple).


Ok I agree that I got off point there a little bit by the dreamy Simon so let me get back to the story. Well anyway when the gang led by Gary arrives in Newton Haven things are not the same anymore. Of course it takes them about 4 pubs to realise that when Gary picks a fight with a teenager in the loo. When Gary's friends and the teenager's friends are joined in a hilarous epic fight scene we realise now that those teenagers are not humans anymore but robots that are not robots (making a reference to a line in the movie). Our characters decide to call them blanks. These blanks are copies from the DNA of the people they once were. This process is done by The Network that is far from our planet. According to The Network, Earth is the least developed planet in the galaxy so they want to illuminate mankind. They do this not by divide and conquer method but by being simply friendly. They only attack when they are faced with resistance. So now our characters know what is happening to their town but the town doesn't know that they know; although, the town does know that they are here for The Golden Mile (Does this remind of you of an episode of Friends?). After careful consideration they decide that the town would get suspicious if they suddenly stopped what they were doing and fled the town so they decide to continue with their plan to hit the rest 8 pubs. At this point Andy gives up sobriety and starts doing shots :D

Anyway I won't tell you the rest as of course there are spoilers and twists in the movie. And my aim is not to write the whole script here so I strongly suggest you watch this movie. I think this was a very worthy movie for its trilogy and I wasn't even worried at all about the quality of it because I knew it'd blow me away. You just let the experience take you on a fun and entertaining journey when it's Cornetto Trilogy that we are talking about. I only have one complaint. The first two movies of Cornetto Trilogy had Bill Nighy who is also one of my favourite actors. His roles were slightly small in both of them but I really wished he made a small appearance in The World's End too. He actually voices The Network that enslaves humanity and makes contact with Gary to persuade him and his friends to join but I wish he was a character instead of a voice. It'd have been fantastic. That being said, apart from our usual Simon Pegg as Gary King and Nick Frost as Andy Knightley; especially Martin Freeman as Oliver "O-Man" Chamberlain, Paddy Considine as Steven Prince and Eddie Marsan as Peter Page were all equally brilliant. There was no weak link in the movie and as a whole they carried it to its perfection. Overall I can't even do this movie justice by rating it with stars. 5 star rating is not enough cause this movie is much better than any movies I've given a full score. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did. This is the WRIGHT STUFF mates!!!!!

The Wolverine Review (Look for a Spoiler Warning)

I'm a huge X-Men fan. AFTER Magneto and Liev Schreiber's Sabretooth, Wolverine is actually one of my favourite characters. I've watched and enjoyed all of the X-Men movies even more than once in the past too. I even played and completed all the games as well so even though I thought making a movie like The Wolverine was not that necessary I still had high expectations and predicted that the movie would be good. Prior to watching I didn't research the plot of the movie so I had no idea what I was in for. To be honest I expected lots of unique and new mutants, lots of fighting, and well-written dialogues. I'm incredibly sorry to say that I am disappointed to have seen none of them.


For a movie with about 2 hours and 10 minutes of runtime the plot was surprisingly boring and there wasn't anything at all to actually entertain or surprise the viewer! Actually this was the worst X-Men movie ever. Yes it doesn't have the title X-Men but still, the main character is there and this only feels like a cheap spinoff. It doesn't do the rest of the movies any justice at all and I'm questioning how Hugh Jackman could agree to this. Well yea there is a lot of money involved but surely with his talent he could find another project instead? I'd preferred if this movie didn't exist at all. The movie was full of Logan fighting samurai warriors and archers and there was only 2 mutants (1 who foresees the future, one is a snake, viper kind of lady) in the whole movie apart from Wolverine. So if you think this movie is about mutants you are wrong. Oh and of course it contains ample amount of CGI!

Basic plot is Wolverine is summoned by an old acquaintance named Yashida to Tokyo. Logan knows Yashida from war back when an atomic bomb was unleashed upon Hiroshima. Logan is a prisoner of war at the time being held inside a well and Yashida starts releasing all the prisoners when he sees the planes. Logan saves Yashida's life by taking him inside the well he once was a prisoner in and uses his body as a shield to protect him from the effects of the bomb. Many years later Yashida becomes the most powerful and one of the richest man in Japan. He is ill and wants to say goodbye to Logan and "properly" thank him for saving his life so he instructs Yukio (the one who sees the future) to track down and bring Wolverine. 

The whole story revolves around that "properly" part because (SPOILER) Yashida wants his doctor, Viper to transfer Wolverine's healing and immortality abilities to himself. He believes that's how he'll show his appreciation for saving his life because immortality is a curse and Wolverine has nothing to live for because he keeps losing the people he loves. As for Yashida he has a legacy to protect and he believes his son will tear it apart. He doesn't want his son to take over the company so he passes it onto his granddaughter. Thus, the Japanese gang Yakuza wants to kill Yashida's granddaughter so it is up to Wolverine to protect her. Meanwhile these two fall in love or something and there is a lot of kissing. Blurgh seriously? Wolverine even calls her "Princess". What the hell were the writers thinking? Anyway Viper gets to work by designing some kind of bug that covers Wolverine's heart which slowly makes him lose his ability to heal then orders a bunch of samurai warriors to capture him with arrows and swords. Uh... Well I don't really wanna lose time by writing more about this -.- Wolverine always ends up winning so... I don't see the use.

It's my humble opinion that you avoid this movie. Believe me you won't be missing that much by not watching. Although I suggest you watch the scene after the credits. There is a BIG surprise there! :) I can't help but ask my 2 hours to be given back to me though so I could finish watching the last few episodes of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

If you actually loved this movie I hope I didn't offend you by merely expressing my thoughts. If you liked the movie feel free to share your thoughts and which parts you loved and why. I'd love a healthy debate.

Comments

  1. Ok so I definitely have to see The World's End now! From the sounds of your review, it seems rather different than their other two main movies? Will have to see for myself.

    Obviously going to steer clear of the latest X-men movie. It almost sounds like a bad video game: Wolverine somehow ends up in medieval Japan, fights dozens of ninjas, samurai, and two boss mutants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the movies are very different from each other in Cornetto Trilogy Doug. There is no continuity at all. It's all about having fun and eating some tasty flavoured Cornettos :D Although there are big character differences in this movie. Simon Pegg is always the goofy type but he is always pure and portrays someone you can easily root for. In The World's End Pegg's character is again goofy but not with the same innocence from the first two movies. Simply he is not an easy character to root for because of the way he treats his friends, that being said I really wish I had a crazy fun friend like him. This difference applies for Nick's character as well. In The World's End he is rather too serious unlike the first two movies. I've never really seen him as a serious character before so this one was a breath of fresh air and it also shows his versatility as an actor. My personal thought that the movie was fantastic. Did it have its shortcomings? Yes especially during the scene where The Network makes contact with Gary towards the end of the movie. I found myself wishing they would just cut it short although the end line of that conversation is pretty funny. But I loved all the other elements in the movie.

    As for The X-Men your thought is very much correct. The story is not special and you won't miss anything from the main story line if you skip it. There were some neat CGIs but this is Hollywood and that is rightfully expected for a movie with a bad plot. Wolverine actually doesn't even fight two boss mutants in the movie. He does fight tons of mobs though and one boss only. That boss fight is pretty dull too I'm afraid. But I suggest you catch a glimpse of the very short scene at the end of the credits. It takes about 1 minute but without giving it away let me point out that it lays the ground for the upcoming X-Men: Days of Future Past.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment