Featured Post

SYTYCD Top 12 Recap

Week 6 of SYTYCD with Kenny Ortega as the guest judge started off with a Bollywood number choreographed by Nakul Dev Mahajan. Bollywood genre is not my cup of tea at all but this piece was way too energetic so I felt sorry for the dancers cause when you add mini and group numbers it means the dancers will have danced three times in one week excluding a solo if they are in the bottom. I think it's just cruel. If they are to do a solo that's four times which is way too much for any human being to handle but they managed to get through perfectly so hats off to them. 

Tucker wasn't in the group routine due to a knee infection. He also couldn't perform for the week. However he was in the bottom so the judges asked if he felt good enough to do a solo. He performed his solo and I believe it was a powerful one too. Speaking of bottom 6 dancers, Malece, Alan, Amy, Jenna and Nico joined Tucker in the bottom. Jenna and Nico were saved by the judges so the rest 4 dancers were asked to do their solos.


Prior to rehearsals dancers were asked to talk about one thing that people don't know about their partners. Again I want to say that I love it that they are going back to that trivia format where we learn more about the dancers. This is a competition and voting is done by the public so it is good that we can learn as much as we can about them. It is certainly better than having an extended view of the first rehearsals.

The show was again filled with pretty strong performances. The first performance of the night was a broadway number which had the judges stand on their feet. The piece was choreographed by Sean Cheesman and danced by Nico and Hayley. I thought it was a pretty fun routine and I loved the characters portrayed by the dancers. It was a great way to kick things off, it was like a promise for a great show to come.


Third performance of the night belong to Jenna and Tucker but as Tucker was injured Jenna was joined by all-star Alex Wong who was my favourite male dancer in season 7. Jenna picked paso doble so I don't understand why they had Alex partner her as he is a ballet dancer. The dance was powerful but for me it was not one of the stand outs as I don't enjoy ballroom as much as I enjoy lets say contemporary, jazz or hip-hop.


The number following the paso doble was my favourite couple routine of the evening. It was a contemporary piece choreographed by Mandy Moore. I think this number was her best work to date. The number which got a standing ovation from the judges was beautifully performed by Makenzie and Paul. This piece might actually be the best contemporary in season 10. I think Makenzie is a pretty strong candidate to win the competition on the female side. It is getting harder and harder to pick a power couple in this season. The talent level has never been this high before. I had my mind set on Amy and Fik-Shun and then Aaron and Jasmine but Makenzie and Paul made it onto my list too. The competition is getting tougher and tougher each week.


The next performance of the night was a viennese waltz danced by Amy and Fik-Shun. I am glad that they finally picked ballroom and showed that they could handle it too. Mary noted that there were some technical issues but I don't understand them so they didn't bother me. The dance was too slow for my taste but it was a pretty decent one. At least it showed that this couple can take on whatever they pick from the hat.


Next up was my second favourite couple routine of the night. It was a hip-hop number choreographed by Tabitha and Napoleon which got another standing ovation from the judges. The story was quite fun as it always is with NappyTabs, as Nigel says they always find a way to keep things interesting and fun. The piece was danced by the couple to beat Aaron and Jasmine. The performance was incredibly fun. It is obvious that there is NOTHING that these two can't do. I can't believe that they wouldn't have even got Aaron as he joined the show when a dancer that made the final 20 cut was injured. Sorry to say that but I am glad he was injured otherwise Aaron wouldn't be on the show right now and I think he is a great asset.


Previous week Cat made the announcement for the mini group routines which got me excited. I didn't know if they'd continue with the concept for the following weeks; however, I was incredibly happy to find out that the mini group routines continued for this week as well, and they were fantastic too. Female and male dancers were divided into two groups for the mini group numbers.

The first mini group number one was a lyrical hip-hop piece created by NappyTabs. It was danced by the top 6 male dancers, although Tucker wasn't in the performance. Again the story was of unique nature and I liked the use of the rope as the prop that symbolises the relationship. I particularly loved Aaron and Paul in this dance.


The second mini group number which was also the last performance of the night was danced by the top 6 female dancers. It was choreographed by Stacey Tookey. I stated before that I loved Stacey's work. I like this one even more. This routine hits it close to the heart for all the females out there who make it their life's mission to stay young and beautiful when all that matters is who you are as a person rather than how you look like on the outside. I believe that this routine portrays this beautifully. The dancers were incredible as well, they certainly did this beautiful piece justice. The song picked for this routine was also magnificent. It is sung by Lana Del Rey and title of the song is Young and Beautiful. The chorus goes "Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful, Will you still love me when I got nothing but my aching soul?" It's amazing.


At the end of the show Malece and Alan were eliminated. Despite not being able to perform for the night Tucker was safe. I think it was the right choice. Tucker's solo was quite powerful and I think he has more to offer. Next week the inevitable will happen and the couples will be split in order to be joined by the all-stars. 

I don't mind the all-star concept but I'd prefer the couples to be switched rather than split like they did in the previous seasons. But I really don't mind the all-stars at all. It is just sad to see great powerful couples like Aaron and Jasmine, Amy and Fik-Shun, Makenzie and Paul split. 

The all-stars that are confirmed to take part in the show, not as competitors, for season 10 are Stephen 'tWitch' Boss, Witney Carson, Lauren Froderman, Neil Haskell, Allison Holker, Mark Kanemura, Kathryn McCormick, Robert Roldan, Alex Wong, and Dominic "D-Trix" Sandoval. 

It is great to see Mark join the show as an all-star. I guess he took some time off from Lady Gaga :D It'll be great to see Neil again but I am starting to get bored of Twitch now. I'm beginning to think that he's got nothing else to do :/ He's been in every single season so far as an all-star. I know he is a fan favourite but then why didn't the public vote for him to win? I want to see new faces. I want to see JAKOB KARR. Well their genres are different but it'd be great to see Jakob again. I was incredibly upset when he lost to Russell in season 6. I was hopeful when he came to the show as an all-star for one routine but it seems like it was a one-time thing :( It'd be interesting to see Billy Bell again. He was pretty unfortunate to get injured that led to his elimination in season 7.

Anyway, here is top 10 that will also be on SYTYCD tour!

Comments